Deputy Treasurer/Extension Assistant/Road Bookkeeper
Hours of Operation:
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed noon to 1 p.m.
Dept Mailing Address:
Griggs County Treasurer
PO Box 340
Cooperstown, ND 58425-0340
Madison Eli was elected County Treasurer in 2022. Erin Halverson-Hook became Deputy Treasurer in November 2022. The treasurer is elected every four years. The Griggs County Treasurer is responsible for the collection and disbursement of property taxes for about 40 taxing jurisdictions, including schools, fire districts, townships and cities. Real estate tax statements are mailed in December. If you do not receive a tax bill by December 15th, you should contact the Treasurer's Office and request one. Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve you from paying the taxes or any interest and penalty due should they become delinquent. All taxes become delinquent if they are not paid by January 1. Taxpayers may now pay property taxes by credit card or e-check via a toll free phone or the internet. There will be a convenience fee charged to pay for this service. The county does not receive this fee. The Treasurer's Office will be closed New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President's Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, at noon Christmas Eve Day and Christmas Day.
Penalty Schedule for Tax Payments:
- 5% discount if paid in full by February 15; discount does not apply to specials.
- First payment due on or before March 1.
- If not paid on or before March 2, add 3 percent penalty to the first half.
- If not paid on or before May 1, add 6 percent penalty to the first half.
- If not paid on or before July 1, add 9 percent penalty to the first half.
- If not paid on or before October 15, add 12 percent penalty to the first half.
- Second payment due on or before October 15.
- If not paid on or before October 15, add 6 percent penalty to the second half.
Phone Payment System (IVR) Phone Number: (833) 440-8628.